The Kentucky rifle did not originate in Kentucky, its roots are of the Pennsylvania Longrifle and it existed long before the white man set foot in the Kentucky frontier.
The so called Kentucky rifle was merely a Pennsylvania Longrifle carried by now famous frontiersmen into the Kan-tuc-kee land.
Developed in Pennsylvania by Germanic settlers who had emigrated from their homeland to the American Continent. Initially the rifle smiths made rifles similar to the Jaeger hunting rifles they had made and used in their German homeland. These were big, heavy barreled, large caliber guns with rifling cut into the bore. They were either very plain or very fancy. They usually had sliding wooden patch boxes early on but brass was not unheard of. They were relatively short, being about a 30" barrel length. The frontiersmen loved the accuracy of the rifle, but did not like the weight, or the balls per pound they could carry, nor the amount of powder it took to drive such balls. They asked for and received from the rifle smiths a rifle which was longer in barrel length for greater accuracy and more efficient powder burn, smaller in barrel width and caliber to reduce weight and allow more shots per pound of lead balls and powder.
This developed into what we know as the Pennsylvania Longrifle which was necessary to these frontiersmen in expanding the country's frontier. A rifle of 40 to 50 caliber, 42" to 48”long barrel, slim, carved for enhancement as were the German hunting rifles but not too fancy. They were working guns, not sporting guns. They were used for defense as well as for food gathering.
Call it what you will, as for me, it will forever be known as the Pennsylvania Longrifle, and it played a significant part in early American history.
Early Roots (1700-1750)
The Longrifle's early history is tied to Germanic settlements of Eastern Pennsylvania. The Jaeger Rifle is the Father of the American Longrifle. The Jaeger barrel had rifling grooves cut into it which improved accuracy immensely.
Key Areas of Development (1750-1780)
Christians Spring near present day Nazerath, Pennsylvania in Lehigh County, Reading in Berks County and Lancaster.
The French & Indian War (1753-1763)
Colonial Militia and Native Americans primarily used muskets. But rifles were also used by Rangers and some indians.
The Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Surviving rifles are rare, they were used primarily as sniper and skirmish weapons,and were consumed through hard use.
The Zenith (1790-1812) The Golden Age
Rifle making flourishes in the colonies. The patchbox, carving and inlays were evolving into a uniquely American art form and experts consider it to be America's earliest art form.
THE 20th ANNUAL “BUSHY RUN” HISTORIC ARMS SHOW INFO
“Early Bird” opening – Friday afternoon, January 26, 2018 &
All-Day Saturday, January 27, 2018
SPONSORED BY THE
OLD WESTMORELAND RIFLES – COLLECTORS SHOW ASSOCIATION
COLTON HALL, CLARIDGE, PA
(See the directions below)
• EXIBITOR SET-UP HOURS:
Friday, Jan. 26, 2018 - 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM &
Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018 – 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM
(TABLE DONATION - $65)
• PUBLIC SHOW HOURS:
“EARLY BIRD” – FRIDAY, Jan. 26, 2018 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
ALL DAY SATURDAY, Jan. 27, 2018 - 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
(ADMISSION DONATION - $8)
• SHOW FEATURES:
HISTORIC ARMS DISPLAYS
(Kentucky rifles, accessories and associated
arms made during the period 1700-1850)
ANNUAL NEWSLETTER – THREE ISSUES (21th Year)
MODERN FACILITY, EASY PARKING, GOOD FOOD, &
8-FOOT LONG TABLES
• SHOW RULES:
NO ONE UNDER 16 ADMITTED (Without adult supervision)
NO GUNPOWDER OR CARTRIDGE AMMO
(Muzzle loaders only)
NO PHOTOGRAPHY (Without permission)
• LOCAL LODGING:
For show rates mention “THE BUSHY RUN SHOW”
SUPER 8 MOTEL – DELMONT (724-468-4888)
Adjacent to KING’S RESTAURANT, located south of the
junction of the 66 Toll Way and PA Route 22.
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS – DELMONT (724-468-1050)
Behind the LAMPLIGHTER RESTAURANT located on PA
Route 22 west of the 66 Toll Way towards Murrysville.
For more info about the show, call (724) 331-1131 or visit www.oldwestmorelandrifles.com
DIRECTIONS TO THE COLTON HALL
Location: 3100 Blocks Rd., Claridge, PA 15623
FROM POINTS EAST:
Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike (PA 76) to the Greensburg-New Stanton Interchange. Follow Route 119 to Toll 66 North (towards Delmont). Take Toll 66 North to the Greensburg-Harrison City Exit 9 and make a left off the exit ramp onto Business Route 66 North. Take Business Route 66 North less than one mile to Route 993 and make a left-hand turn. Stay on 993 for about two miles until it is intersected by the Claridge-Elliott Rd. Make a right-hand turn onto Claridge-Elliott Rd which takes you into the village of Claridge (about ½ mile). Make a left-hand turn onto Bratkovich Rd. which then intersects Main St. Make a left-hand turn onto Main St. and Colton Hall is located about ¼ mile on the left just behind the Claridge Post Office.
FROM POINTS WEST:
Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the Pittsburgh Interchange at Monroeville. After the tollbooth, take the Route 22 East – Murrysville Exit Ramp. Follow Route 22 East for about 10 miles to the cloverleaf at Toll 66 South (to Greensburg). After the light (King’s Restaurant and Super 8 are on the right), take the first exit before the toll road (Business Route 66). At the light at the top of the ramp, make a left–hand turn onto Business Route 66 South. Take Business Route 66 South to Route 993 West (make a right-hand turn). Take 993 until intersecting Claridge-Elliott Rd. Make a right-hand turn onto Claridge-Elliott Rd. Stay on Claridge-Elliott Rd. into Claridge until it intersects Bratkovich St. Make a left hand turn onto Main St. and the Colton Hall is located 1/4 mile on the left behind the Claridge Post Office.
FROM FORT LIGONIER:
Follow Route 30 West to Toll 66 North (towards Delmont). Take Toll 66 North to the Greensburg-Harrison City Exit 9. Make a left-hand turn onto Business Route 66 North. Take Business Route 66 North to Route 993 West. Make a left-hand turn onto Route 993 and follow it until intersecting Claridge-Elliott Rd. Make a right-hand turn onto Claridge-Elliott Rd. Stay on Claridge-Elliott Rd. which goes into Claridge. Make a left onto Bratkovich St. until it intersects Main St. Make a left- hand turn onto Main St. Colton Hall is located 1/4 mile on the left behind the Claridge Post Office.